UPDATE OF 11/27/18 After posting the article: 50 New York state prisoners died due to inadequate medical care over the past five years, death reports reveal , I added: “In each and every case like this the victims’ survivors should relate the facts and “raise as much hell as legally possible” to the licenses of the medical personnel revoked – doctors and nurses.”
Update 10/18/17: Today 18 inmates were indicted in connection with the February uprising. HAD PROSECUTORS BEEN DOING THEIR JOB AND INDICTING THE CRIMINALS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BARS, IT ALL COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED.
READ http://delawarestatenews.net/news/charges-announced-in-vaughn-uprising-16-indicted-in-connection-to-lt-floyds-murder/ – Inmates indicted: 18 face charges for prison riot; 16 for murder
UPDATE of 12/23/17
Several of my articles – this one included – and I are referenced in Judge Posner’s latest book, Improving the Federal Judiciary – Second Edition – Staff Attorney Program, The Plight of the Pro Se’s, and the Televising of Oral Arguments. READ Good to be Recognized – and Good for the Public!
While it is quite flattering to have the attention of such a renowned legal scholar, the important point is that this brings important information to many, many more people. The book is available from Amazon for only $18.00 … a great gift any time of year!
Note: many of the same principles apply to police abuse, criminal judges, criminal CPS workers, and others, as with prison abuse.
8/19/17 UPDATE – seeing that all Florida prisons are on lockdown, I posted an article about that on our FB group page, with these comments;
I would not be surprised if this is total bullshit by prison officials… they lie soooo much.
ADVICE TO INMATES: PLAN STATEWIDE PEACEFUL UPRISINGS OR PROTESTS EVERY FUCKING MONTH – THEY CAN’T KEEP YOU ON LOCKDOWN FOREVER, AND i REALIZE THAT TO MAKE IT STATEWIDE SNITCHES INVARIABLY WILL FIND OUT AND TELL SOME COs.
PEACEFUL PROTESTS, PEACEFUL. RAISE A RUCKUS; I, MORE THAN MOST, KNOW ALL THE ABUSE THAT OCCURS. READ THIS: http://www.citizensforcriminaljustice.net/prosecution-impr…/ (this article) AND SIMPLY DEMAND THAT THE LAW BE ENFORCED INSIDE THOSE WALLS, THAT COs and OTHER – HEALTH CARE BOZOS – BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE! 🙂 🙂 UNTIL THIS HAPPENS, YOU WILL – WILL! – BE ABUSED.
READ HERE HOW INMATES CAN BE A STRONG FORCE! THE most important Practical Tip! Enforce the Law Inside the Walls! with sample Letter to the Editor.
Prison Abuse is the BIG PROBLEM WHICH THEY DON’T EVEN WANT TO ADMIT EXISTS!
WE DO NOT NEED NEW LAWS AND WE DO NOT NEED ANY “COMMISSION”, “COALITION”, OR “TASK FORCE”, AND WE DO NOT NEED AN FBI INVESTIGATION (THE “BAD GUYS” WILL KNOW THEY ARE COMING). WE NEED FBI AGENTS INSIDE OUR PRISONS UNDER COVER (and PROSECUTORS WHO ACT ON WHAT THOSE AGENTS SEE!) TO PREVENT THE DEATHS OF INMATES AND THE DEATHS OF GUARDS LIKE MR. FLOYD! Read why this is true:
UPDATE OF 5/19/17 – IN DELAWARE?! DID YOU THAT KNOW INMATES ABUSED BY COs in PRISON ARE THEN DENIED MEDICAL CARE? Steve Hampton and I have many letters explaining this. In response to my emails to AG Matt Denn, his secretary, Ms. Ann Vignola has written back saying that they take such clams “with the utmost seriousness” asked me to have such letters sent to her. IF YOU HAVE ANY SUCH LETTERS MAIL THEM TO MS. ANN VIGNOLA, DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, 820 N. FRENCH ST, 6TH FLOOR, WILMINGTON, DE 19801 OR EMAIL THEM TO HER AT email@example.com and put on the subject line LETTER CONCERNING PRISON ABUSE. DO IT!! 🙂
We have a dead guard as a result of a prison uprising on 2/4/17 and 2/5/17. A father of 2 kids, grandfather, a husband, a prison guard. However abusive he [Floyd] was, this is a tragedy. He was killed by “homicide by blunt force trauma”. And despite the crap you are reading in the papers. “he was asking for it”! Was his killing the answer to the problem? Hell no – IT WAS WRONG; I merely state the truth and point out that similar deaths will occur unless and until abusers are held ACCOUNTABLE**.
Remember Ronald Shoup? He was an inmate in prison for drunk driving, and he too was killed by “homicide by blunt force trauma” with the conclusion being “at the hands of D O C staff”*! Such tragedies, and the deaths of many inmates at the hands of abusive guards, I have said repeatedly, will only be stopped by aggressive prosecution of abusers.
Every person -EVERY – that I have talked to in the past several days (at least a dozen such people!) who works with prisoners (those who aid the homeless, those who counsel addicts, etc. and two corrections officers who talk to me regularly) says that the dead C O [Floyd] was one of the guards most abusive toward inmates. Yet the press prints all manner of lies and garbage spewed by the head of the prisoners’ union and others that Floyd was a model officer! It is enough to make you want to puke. With so many knowing the truth, why does the truth not get out, and why are abusers not prosecuted?
- Why does word not get out? The culture of abuse and cover up is so ingrained – so entrenched – that inmates and guards alike are afraid to tell the truth for fear of retaliation.* I have had some of the C Os who got to know me tell me as much in plain English. They have good cause to be afraid because, so far, nobody will prosecute those who retaliate! The retaliation comes in both bold and subtle ways: The inmates, sad to say, may be brutally beaten, or thrown into an isolation cell and kept unlawfully imprisoned there for years because guards make up false – totally fictitious – “reports” – as I was***. As for the staffers: a) they may be assigned to “outside patrol”, where they have to walk around the perimeter of the prison all night, and cannot see the abuses inside – I have had one guard tell me they did this to her. b) they may be denied shifts which provide overtime pay. This is a frequent punishment. It is so frequent that the little state of Delaware spent $22 MILLION of your money last year on overtime pay. The prison officials say it is because they are understaffed, and there is some truth to that, but a big chunk of that money goes to aid the cover-up. c) they may be denied a promotion. This is another widely used punishment. If you want to get overtime pay and/or get promoted you keep you mouth shut about all the abuse you see!! All it will take to crack this wide open is one or two FBI AGENTS working in the prison under cover or 1 or 2 honest COs talking to prosecutors, coupled with vigorous prosecutions. We don’t need any new laws nor any “commission or task force”, the laws are in place. READ 18 U S C A Sections 241 and 242.
2. READ The Violent American Epidemic You Won’t Hear About: Why Prison Abuse Goes Unreported and Unpunished – EXCELLENT PIECE -kra to learn that prison officials do all they can to hide the truth. They often use “security” as a lame excuse to cover their crimes … , we can’t do (this or that) because it would threaten security”. Often that line is total bullshit!
WE DO NOT NEED NEW LAWS, WE DO NOT NEED ANY “COMMISSION OR TASK FORCE, AND WE DO NOT NEED AN ANNOUNCED FBI INVESTIGATION (THE “BAD GUYS” WILL KNOW THEY ARE COMING). WE NEED FBI AGENTS INSIDE OUR PRISONS UNDER COVER TO PREVENT THE DEATHS OF INMATES AND THE DEATHS OF GUARDS LIKE MR. FLOYD! Let me remind you that not only do I get calls from families of abused inmates daily – abused here and nationwide – I have SEEN what goes on in our prisons! What is needed is not some “Commission or Task Force”, and not a federal investigation as a colleague suggested. With such an investigation : 1. The criminals in uniform will know that it is coming, and 2. the feds largely will talk to and believe the prison staff, who routinely lie like hell. We need one or two FBI agents inside the prison under cover, where they will see innumerable crimes with their own eyes, and emerge with many indictments, as they did in L A a couple of years ago!
Much of what comes out of the prison officials’ mouths to the press is total BS, propaganda in the true sense of the word, as it was when they hailed the “improvements” in medical care in Delaware about 7 years ago. I was in prison at the time, read every word of the “Consent Agreement” between D O C and the D O J, and saw it violated every day. When D O C changed companies providing health care, the new company kept virtually all of the employees of the old one, accustomed to doing the same wrongs they had done before with impunity. So they just kept doing the sloppiness, the lies, and the errors or neglect of the past! Any announced federal investigation into the death of Mr. Floyd will no doubt result in “findings, recommendations, and conclusions”, which will be ignored, and it will NOT solve the problem; it will be only a matter of time before another guard is killed unless staff abusers are prosecuted and imprisoned!
2. Why are abuses not prosecuted? There is no good or valid reason why, other than apathy in the heads of prosecutors! Take the Shoup death, for example. The autopsy and the medical examiner concluded he was killed when guards [you know, they charge into the cell with all their body armor, looking like Darth Vader, to “subdue” the inmate!] piled on top of him, beat him and crushed his chest. The crystal clear conclusion was “homicide at the hands of D O C staff”! What was the A G’s reason for not prosecuting? They could not be sure which guard killed him. THIS IS TOTAL LEGAL BS – A LAME EXCUSE. PROSECUTE EVERY DAMN ONE OF THEM, JUST AS EVERY DEFENDANT INVOLVED IN A HOMICIDE IS PROSECUTED, FROM THE SHOOTER TO THE DRIVER OF THE GETAWAY CAR!
Why is prosecution the ONLY remedy? The abuse must be deterred.
- Union rules make it nearly impossible to fire prison guards.
- Even if an inmate, or the family of a dead inmate, wins a lawsuit [a one in a million chance because so many judges, like the prosecutors, have their heads in the sand and will not acknowledge this huge problem; they ignore the law and misstate the facts to make theses cases go away!] it is the State which pays the money award, not the guard. So the guards laugh at the system and keep on committing crimes, because they “feel no pain”. They are not truly held accountable. Even when an inmate wins a large money award = a clear indication that the jury found the guard at fault for abuse – the guard keeps his job, goes on to be promoted, etc.!
- Convict them and lock them up for years – THIS will send the message that the outrageous abuses must stop.
Is being a prison guard easy? Hell no. For the most part it is a very boring job. Guards DO need to deal with some extremely dangerous characters who plan escapes, plan harm to guards, etc. and there are systems in place to do that the right way. And the guards need to navigate the “sinister culture of cover up”. I call it what it is = blatant, outrageous criminal conduct! Sadly, too many of the men and women who serve as guards choose to keep their mouths shut about this, and understandably so; many more accede to the abuses, and still more quit in disgust when they see what they are being asked to do. Yes, this is one big reason for the high attrition rate among new hires.
David Weiss is the Acting U S Attorney for Delaware. He succeeded my friend, Charlie Overly. SEND email complaints about any crimes by D O C personnel to firstname.lastname@example.org and DEMAND PROSECUTION OF ALL CRIMES COMMITTED BY PRISON PERSONNEL!
My email to him on 5/9/17:
Hi, David, 5/9/17
You read about the tragic death of D O C employee, Mr. Floyd.
NOW is your chance to do your part to prevent more such tragedies! The law applies inside prison walls and it must be enforced inside those walls. I implore you to prosecute in earnest ALL D O C personnel who commit crimes.
PLEASE READ THIS: http://www.citizensforcriminaljustice.net/prosecution-imprisonment-will-stop-prison-abuse-demand-avoid-deaths-prison-guards/
My friend, Steve Hampton, Esq. in Dover can forward to you hundreds of letters recounting outrageous criminal conduct by scores of D O C personnel. His contact info is:
Grady and Hampton LLC
6 North Bradford Street
Dover, DE 19904
Thank you for your attention to this very serious problem.
So, who should you blame for the death of Officer Floyd, father of his kids, husband, prison guard? You can blame all of the PROSECUTORS who, for years, have refused to go after lawless criminals wearing law enforcement uniforms – prison guards!
The mouthpiece for the guards, union head Mr. Klopp, blasts the Sate by saying that staffing problems caused Mr. Floyd’s death. More BULLSHIT! Throwing more money at this terrible problem WILL NOT SOLVE IT. Kloop’s job is to get the guards more money, and everything he says is toward that end! WATCH THE NEWSPAPERS PICK THIS UP AND RUN WITH IT – THE “STAFFING PROBLEMS” ARE THE ISSUE! NONSENSE – THE RAMPANT UNCHECKED ABUSE IS THE ISSUE!
My Latest Letter to the Editor: Letter to the Editor or Op Ed Submission – Solve the Problem? Admit it Exists! 2/15/17
DAMMIT – GET UPSET, GET EXCITED, SPEAK OUT, DO SOMETHING!
READ THIS ARTICLE [the author “gets it”] : What Happened at Vaughn Prison? At Vaughn prison and elsewhere, we should demand transparency and stand with the inmates who dare to affirm their humanity. “We MUST be Skeptical of Accounts Given by Prison Officials Because too often they Lie Like Hell”!
Here is a video of some brief remarks I made in a T V interview. They aired only a minute from a 20 minute interview. And of course Mr. Klopp disagrees with my remarks about all the abuse’ he LIES, LIES, LIES! Indeed, he and all his total BS are a big part of the problem.
“Guards” murder inmates! Send this out about the death of Ronald Shoup. Take 3 Minutes! This is one of several articles that tell you where to send your emails demanding prosecution!
GO TO OUR WEBSITE HERE AND JUST TYPE “SHOUP” IN THE SEARCH BAR, OR CLICK ON “PRISON ABUSE”. READ HALF A DOZEN OF THE ARTICLES THAT POP UP TO SEE HOW WIDESPREAD THIS PROBLEM IS!
NOBODY will tolerate the abuses I saw without eventually exploding!