Standard for so many prisons! They ignore the law, they ignore their own rules, and inmates DIE!





Excerpts from the Article:

Andrew Jones died while being held in segregated conditions without essential medication or access to exercise, showers or phone calls as he awaited a hearing into an incident. He was not informed that his case had been delayed after earlier hearings overran.

Senior Coroner Dr James Adeley found that Jones, 37, was being “unlawfully segregated” beyond the permitted four-hour period. He added that while prisoners could legitimately be segregated while awaiting a hearing, there was “no legitimate reason” to segregate Jones given that no-one else was involved in the original incident, and thus there was no danger that he could collude or intimidate anyone.

While segregated, he had his prescribed supplies of Quetiapine, a mood stabilisation medication, and Tramadol, an opiate for severe back pain, taken away. Because healthcare was not informed that he had been moved to a different wing while segregated, the medication was not resumed, leading to withdrawal symptoms.

Dr Adeley estimated that over a three or four year period leading up to Jones’s death in November 2018, between 600 and 700 prisoners at Garth had been isolated beyond the de facto four hour period allowed under segregation laws.

Senior prison staff admitted at the inquest that the segregation was illegal and that Jones should have been returned to his wing after the four hours were up. The inquest jury found that “prolonged confinement in his cell was detrimental to Andrew Jones’ mental health and contributed to his death”. It found that there had been a “gross failure to provide even basic care for a fully dependent person”, and that “every opportunity to provide this care was missed”.

It concluded that his death “was contributed to by gross neglect”.

In his report, Dr Adeley also condemned an investigation into the death by NHS England which concluded that the prisoner’s medications “were prescribed appropriately” and that he “received healthcare equivalent to that which he could have expected to receive in the community”. The coroner said: “This statement is almost entirely inaccurate and is based upon inadequate medical evidence.”

A consultant psychiatrist who assessed the case found that factors including stopping Jones’s medication; denying him access to a shower, phone call or exercise; the delay to the hearing; and a lack of distraction activities had created a “perfect storm” which contributed to his death.

The Whole Story:

Prison broke rules 600 times, inquest finds