You do NOT have to talk to them, and my advice is: don’t! I get calls every week about these out of control state agencies, and I got another today.
I get calls every day – every day – about a CPS horror story … kids wrongly taken … hearts broken because most people cannot afford the enormous cost of hiring a good attorney to prevent or to right the wrong!
All over the country, these agencies have morphed into huge, powerful monsters!
We are talking here about FAMILIES TORN ASUNDER! HOLD THESE FOOLS ACCOUNTABLE!
If you fail to do these things, because you are naive and think it really isn’t necessary, YOU ARE A FOOL! These agencies are every bit out of control as our prisons are! We are not talking about “a few bad apples”! YOU don’t need to learn the hard way what too many parents already know: things can spiral out of control fast, and you probably cannot afford a good lawyer … if you are like most folks who call me!
REMEMBER THIS: NEVER COMMUNICATE WITH THE CPS FOOLS WITH JUST A PHONE CALL. SEND AND EMAIL AND KEEP A COPY! READ PUT IT IN WRITING.
Your rights vary somewhat from state to state, [google “my rights regarding CPS in Delaware (your state) – this is all I found for Delaware, but some stated detail your rights. http://kids.delaware.gov/fs/fs_iseethesigns.shtml “], but generally:
- If you get a call from CPS, say “I have nothing to say” and hang up. DO IT!
- Do not let a CPS worker into your house without a warrant. They can come in nonetheless in some situations, but start with that position!
- Do not trust any CPS worker; they are not your friend and they are NOT there to help you.
4. During any meeting with CPS, you have the right to have an attorney present. Hire a good one if you can afford to. Some states must provide one, court appointed.
5. At any hearing, you have the right to call witnesses, examine and cross-examine them. Subpoena them!
4. Record all conversations with any DPS worker.
5. Get the name of any CPS worker you talk to or meet with! Write down names before you forget.
6. Document everything! All meetings and phone calls; keep detailed notes in a journal or notebook titled “Notes for My Lawyer” – this should create attorney-client privilege. If they want your journal tell them they cannot see it. If they take it, request it back in writing immediately.
7. Do not admit anything. i. e. do not admit that you hit your wife 4 years ago. Do not admit you ever smoked a joint! NOTHING. Do not admit any wrongdoing, whether or not you think it relates to the problems at hand.
8. Warn your child about CPS – even if only 5 or 6 years old. Tell that child that nobody has a right to talk to them or question them without you present. Explain (without scaring them to death!) that if anyone takes them out of class at school, or comes to the home, they must say, no matter how persuasive the person is: “I won’t say anything without my parents here”. REFUSE any requests for private talks with the children. A judge can do so, but not CPS.
NOW, if you know for a fact that any child is being seriously abused, you should encourage him/her to talk to criminal investigators. If you are the abuser, you may as well call 911 right now and turn yourself in, because odds are you will get caught! Turn yourself in and admit that you need help; you will be treated better than when you are caught if you do not turn yourself in.
9. You have the right not to incriminate yourself! Don’t fall for “well, if you don;t speak with us we cannot hep you”. Use your judgement; not all of them are evil/misguided, but very many are!
10. If any child is taken, request, in writing, a hearing “as soon as possible”.
11. Make all your communications to CPS in writing – date it, send an email and keep a copy!
12. Request copies of any and all “reports” prepared by any CPS workers concerning your case.
13. Review those reports carefully. Too often they are inaccurate, may even contain “statements” you never made, etc.
14. If you have a right to appeal any adverse decision, appeal it! Make that appeal request in writing.
15. In hearings, question the qualifications of CPS workers who make “recommendations” – usually they are woefully UNqualified – they are not psychiatrists, psychologists, or even licensed counselors.
16. Similarly, question “diagnoses” of the children. Some fool CPS workers, with no true ability to make the determination, will list mental health or other problems they think a child has.
17. Refuse any request from CPS for a drug test – tell them they need to get a warrant.
READ this before any hearing!
Ten Tips for Trial
READ THIS!! The Fight CPS Handbook
If you are falsely accused of some misconduct by CPS or anyone else, READ THIS: Wrongly Accused? Dos and Don’ts
SHAME OUT OF CONTROL JUDGES, CPS WORKERS, LAWYERS, … ANY OF THEM … IN THE PRESS! WRITE a Letter to the Editor!! DO it!
I get lots of letters published, and ghost write for others. The keys to getting your Letter published are:
1. Keep it to 250 words or fewer.
2. Do not make it about “poor little old me”. Describe the problem as one which not only affects the individual, but is a senseless or ineffective measure, policy, or law which also harms communities and society. For example, with reentry, the obstacles make it unnecessarily difficult for the individual, but also harm society by making it hard to become productive, spending money and paying taxes in the community, and they cause increased recidivism = increased crime.
3. Speak from your heart.
4. Google any facts you are not sure about.
5. Do not name-call.
Do what works: Write that Letter! 🙂
Letter to Editor – sign name, town, state, and your phone number (they often call to verify that you sent it), and “Member of Citizens for Criminal JUSTICE” if you like – shows you are part of a large group.
Send the email to yourself, and put on the “bcc” bar the email addresses for Letters to the Editor for the top ten newspapers in your state and several national ones – The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, U S A Today (google the Letter to Editor email addresses). Any questions, CALL me at 302-423-4067! 🙂
Need a Letter on some criminal justice issue and not a great letter writer? NO EXCUSE! Email me a rough draft and call me and I’ll polish it up! firstname.lastname@example.org .