I have been fortunate to have been quite successful in all of my chosen professions… law, teaching, business broker, entrepreneur, and mentor to many. Learned a lot, made some mistakes … such is life.
I list here some suggestions which are not merely “feel good” slogans or platitudes, but which actually can help most people succeed … if they keep them in mind.
- Know what you are doing. Sounds obvious, but too many people do not! One needs to take the time to do your research, know the facts, know what is expected, set realistic goals, … and keep moving forward. Virtually any information is at your fingertips … on the internet.
- Be persistent. That old saying that failure is the key to success has a lot of truth to it. Thomas Edison tried more than 3,000 times, and failed, before creating what we call the light bulb. If others are involved – such as unresponsive government officials, be persistent without being a pain in the ass.
- Ask for help when you need it. Too many people are too stubborn, too proud, too embarrassed, or too vain to ask for help. Don’t be. Many people and organizations are willing to help. A little help from the right source can go a long way!
- Keep that critical balance in your life: allow plenty of time for family. I failed at this, as is apparent from my life story.
- Have faith, count your blessings, pray.
- Maintain a positive attitude. YOU are in control of your attitude, and a positive attitude affects not only yourself but those around you, and truly does make a difference.
- Assume nothing. If you want to assume something, assume you are wrong and find out the facts.
- Take time to prepare. I have had about 700 trials; did not keep count, but I know how many I lost … lost 2. That is not because I am a friggin’ genius; it is because I was prepared. I no doubt encountered many lawyers much brighter than I, but they were not prepared.
Last but not least, of course you need good judgement to “know when to hold ’em and know when to fold ’em”, but I leave you with my “theme song” by Tom Petty: I Won’t Back Down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlTJrNJ5lA