If you have a loved one who is an addict, and that person is facing criminal charges not yet resolved, you should get the name and contact information of the prosecutor in the case. Then email that prosecutor, and/or the head of the office (the D A or the Attorney General) and ask them if you might meet with him/her personally for just a few minutes. 

If you have a good lawyer, have him/her set it up. If you have a P D or some other lawyer who just doesn’t want to take the time, you might consider doing it without him/her!

Use that meeting to remind them that addicts need treatment, not prison. There are many articles about this on this website, or just google the issue. Almost all proposals for criminal justice reform these days emphasize this point. Also, the fact is that most prison “treatment programs” do NOT work.

So have a plan for your loved one to undergo treatment, and meet with the prosecutor to ask him/her to allow that option instead of criminal prosecution. Remind them that criminal prosecution will make it harder for your loved one to get a job, become self-sustaining, and stay out of trouble.  So ask them  … “if “Johnny” or “Susie” completes the treatment program and is not arrested and stays clean for 6 months, will you drop the charges… does that sound fair to you?” The worst they can do is say no, and they may say yes.

Any ????????s, CALL me at 302-423-4067.